Women fly the flag for Te Puke football

Men’s team suffer first loss , going down 2-0 at home






TFOOTBALL e Puke’s men’s team lost for the first time this season on Saturday, going down 2-0 at home to Cambridge FC. The hosts started the game strongly, keeping the ball and looking for opportunities to break through, but kept on falling short with multiple chances going over the bar. As players started to settle, Cambridge got into the game and started pressing well, putting Te Puke on the defensive, but unable to hit the target. A goal line save from Matthew Morrison kept it 0-0 at halftime. Cambridge came out strongly in the second half and pressure paid in the 62nd minute as Tom Woutersen opened the scoring for the visitors. While this galvanised the hosts, they still struggled to find the final touch and Cambridge’s second, two minutes from the 90 minutes thanks to Wade Ellis, sealed the game. A second yellow for Julian Wharewera saw Te Puke finish the game with 10 men. Morrison was named player of the day for his defensive display Te Puke make the short trip to Gordon Spratt Reserve to play Te Puke on Saturday, kick off 12.30pm. The club’s women’s side had better fortunes, winning 2-0 away against Pa¯pa¯moa Icons. The Black and Whites started strongly, keeping possession, attacking down the sidelines, with the crosses either hitting the keeper or the net. Most of the Pa¯pa¯moa attack was snuffed out by the strong Te Puke defence line that enabled the front to push hard but still couldn’t get one past the home team’s keeper. In the second half Te Puke continued to push hard and finally the breakthrough came with a penalty for hand ball that Sammi Parrish smashed home. The chances kept coming with a dominant display, but it was Sarah Earle who came forward from the backline and put one over the keeper’s head from 25 yards out, sealing the win. The Te Puke player of the day was Rosa Atkins for her performance on the wing Pa¯pa¯moa’s other team, the Legends, are the visitors to Litt Park on Sunday, kick off 12.30pm. Te Puke Classics had a 3-2 win over Blue Rovers on Sunday.