Residents urged to check if they are on electoral roll





Manawatu¯ residents are encouraged to check they are enrolled and ready to vote so they can have their say in October on who represents them in local government. To vote all eligible residents and ratepayers must enrol by August 12. The Palmerston North City Council election will look different to previous elections, due to the council’s decision to establish Ma¯ori and general wards. “Enrolling is the first step in getting involved in the council’s democratic process and allows Palmy people to vote for the mayor and councillors who best represent them and what they want for the city,” democracy and governance manager Hannah White says. After last year’s public consultation and representation review, the council made the decision to have two Ma¯ori ward councillors in this upcoming election. The council will be made up of two wards, as well as a mayor, representing the whole city. The Ma¯ori ward, called Te Pu¯ao ward, will have two councillors, and the general ward called Te Hirawanui ward will have 13 councillors. Residents will continue to have all councillors and a mayor representing them, but only those on the Ma¯ori electoral roll will vote for candidates who stand in Te Pu¯ ao ward, and those on the general electoral roll will vote for candidates in Te Hirawanui ward. Mana whenua Ra¯ngitane o Manawatu¯ gifted the council these names, with Te Pu¯ ao representing the opportunities to come from this new Ma¯ori ward and the relationship between Ma¯ ori and local government in Manawatu¯ and beyond. Te Hirawanui is the name of the local chief who arranged the sale for Te Ahu a Turanga land block, from which Palmerston North grew. Palmerston North residents and ratepayers are eligible to enrol and vote if they are 18 years or older, a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, and have lived in New Zealand continuously for 12 months or more at some time in their life. Those who are 17 but will be turning 18 by October 8 can also enrol now. Visit to check if you are enrolled or to change your enrolment details. To receive voting papers your correct current address must be on the electoral roll, so make sure you check your details are up to date. Enrolment forms are available at, by free texting your name and address to 3676, from any Post Shop, or by calling (0800) ENROL NOW (0800 36 76 56). Nominations for people wanting to stand to be a councillor or the mayor open on July 15 and close August 12. Voting is open from September 16 to October 8.